Return to Training Guidelines
Effective June 19, 2020
With the guidance and approval of the Region of Waterloo Public Health office, Karate Canada and the Ontario Karate Federation, we are thrilled to be re-opening the dojo. In doing so, the first priority is the safety of everyone entering the studio; students and parents alike.
Driftwood Martial Arts is doing everything required and more to provide you the safest return-to-training experience possible, however, no protocols can provide 100% protection. All members returning to training do so at their own risk.
Your family’s adherance to these guidelines is key in helping keep everyone safe. Please review these guidelines and protocols with your children to ensure they understand. We will also walk through the procedures when they arrive for class.
Here are the measures currently being put in place. These are subject to change.
- Staff members will self-assess for symptoms before coming to work each day.
- Studio will be thoroughly cleaned from top to bottom at the start of each day.
- Hand sanitizer will be made available throughout the studio.
- PPE Gloves are NOT permitted.
- All high-touch surfaces will be sanitized between every class.
- Individual use heavy bags will be sanitized after every use.
- Training floor will be sanitized throroughly. Since students will remain in their own training square there are no issues with bare feet since no one is putting their feet in their mouth. 🙂
- Do not visit the dojo if you or someone in your home are not feeling well, regardless of symptoms.
- If you have travelled outside of Canada, you are required by health authorities to self-quarantine for a minimum of 14 days.
- We are aware that it is allergy season, please cough or sneeze into your shoulder/arm if necessary.
- Masks are permitted but not mandatory. Karate Canada does not advise the use of masks during physical training. Students wishing to wear a mask while training may do so provided they understand the challenges. Some of those challenges include but are not limited to: increased touching of the face to adjust masks, younger children playing with the mask, difficultly breathing and communication difficulties.
NEW DRIFTWOOD PROCEDURES
- All returning youth & adult karate members must be registered with the Ontario Karate Federation. This is mandatory. This does not apply to WeeKick or Cardio Kickboxing.
Register Here: https://www.trackie.com/online-registration/register/2020-ontario-karate-federation-okf-individual-membership-registration/20077/
- All classes are drop-off and pick-up only. Lobby seating is temporarily closed and chairs have been removed.
- Parents will not be permitted to stay in the building at this time except for special circumstances which must be pre-arranged.
- Please make an appointment for retail purchases or administrative visits.
- There is no early drop-off or late pickup.
- Change rooms are temporarily closed. All members must arrive in uniform ready for class.
- Washrooms are for emergency use only. Please try to go at home before you arrive. No one will be refused access to the washroom.
- Coat hooks and shoe racks are temporarily off limits. Students will bring items into class with them.
- Students should arrive prepared for class with the following:
– A bag large enough to hold required items PLUS their shoes, socks, jacket or sweater.
– Pre-filled water bottle. Students must bring disposable bottles home.
– A personal bottle of hand sanitizer for in-class use.
– Recommended – Kleenex.
– Recommended – Sparring gloves. These may be used for heavy bag drills.
– Recommended – A towel or yoga mat for floor based exercises.
ARRIVING FOR CLASS
- Students will enter through the front door during their designated arrival time. Students will not be allowed to enter early.
- All students must pre-screen at home prior to every entry and may be screened on arrival – this may include a temperature check.
- PARENTS – please remain on-site until your child has been admitted to the building.
- All persons entering the building will sanitize their hands.
- All persons will maintain 2m social distancing at all times.
- Remove socks, shoes, coats/sweaters and place in your gear bag.
- Proceed to washroom for handwashing. Wash for 20 seconds with soap and warm water.
- Students will enter the dojo and select a personal training square – starting from the back of the room – and remain there for the duration of class. Students will place their gear bag in their square. You are welcome to chat with fellow classmates while centred in your training square.
- Students will train in their own 2m x 2m training square. Squares are separated by 2m forwards and 1m on each side.
- Current maximum class size is 9 students in dojo 1 and 10 students in dojo 2.
- Dojo 2 is equipped with 1 heavy bag per training square.
- At this time we will NOT be practicing the following activities until it is safe to do so.
– Group kumite (sparring with partners)
– Self-Defense with partners
– Hand or kicking target drills with partners
- Sparring drills will be limited to heavy bags. Bags will be sanitized after each use.
- There will be no sharing of any equipment. Please ensure you have everything needed for training.
- If a student needs to leave their square for any reason, they will ask the instructor. They will be directed along a socially distanced route of travel.
- Instructors will remain 2 metres from students. Should a student require first aid treatment the 2 metre barrier will be broken with mask and gloves used by first-aider.
- If a student becomes ill during class they will be isolated and early pick-up will be arranged for the entire group and a complete cleaning will be done.
AFTER CLASS & PICKUP
- At the end of class students will exit by the rear door. Those closest to the door will leave first. One at a time. Staff will assist with exit procedures.
- Students must be picked up during the designated departure time from the rear door of the building. We cannot allow entry for the next class until the current class has exited and all cleaning has been completed. Please be respectful of fellow members and arrive promptly for pick-up.
Driftwood Martial Arts will continue to monitor this situation closely and will do what is in the best interest of keeping everyone safe. We urge that everyone that is part of the Driftwood family please do your part in protecting yourself, your family and community. Together we will rise above this.
We thank you for your understanding and flexibility during this time. As always, please reach out to us if you have any questions or concerns.